SimPost – Post Office Services
In the simulation, the players are responsible for the management of a virtual post office, where they have to make economic decisions to ensure efficient operation. The goal is for participants to get familiar with the culture of business, the market environment and the competition on the market, to experience market related and economic decisions from a new perspective, to better understand them, and to find their way around economic concepts even better. The task is to analyze the data, make decisions, as well as to develop and implement a strategy. The goal is to operate the postal company as efficiently as possible.
The postal system has been liberalized for several years: competition is strong, in some places particularly strong. The country is moderately developed economically and in a period of recovery.
During the game, decisions must be made in the following areas: product pricing, payment deadlines, marketing, HR, sourcing, investment, financial issues, emergency events and launching projects.
How SimPost simulation software works:
- The students form groups and take over the management of the virtual company created by the simulation software.
- The virtual company is managed by making strategic decisions for every year.
- The software gives a written feedback about the results of the decisions.
- The software settings can be modified in various ways based on different demands, purchase prices, the wage flexibility, credit conditions and a number of other factors.
- The software can simulate up to 8 periods.
Advantages and learning points:
- The program shows a basic economic activity, the operation of a producing company, highlighting the most important strategic points in the management of the company.
- The program is complex enough to synthesize and put into practice the knowledge of students, who are close to finishing their studies.
- The game challenges and develops analytical skills, as students are required to find the data they need from various financial and commercial reports (for example balance sheets, income statements, cash flow, market research).
- As a result, just like in real life, effective teamwork is essential to successfully complete the game.