Clinics - Healthcare Business
The simulation is modeling a mid-size virtual hospital and clinic with 220 beds. Hospitals and treating illnesses as a ‘market’ is growing worldwide. The patients are free to choose a hospital, which means that the management of the hospital needs to do active marketing and sales work. Players are required to make decisions concerning the following categories (and also report includes the results of these): marketing and sales, development, investments, purchases, finances, market information, extraordinary events, projects, and performance index.
Marketing activity in the game consists of two elements: choosing the selection of products and services, and PR and lobbying activities. The students, as the management of the hospital, make decisions on the opening, development and transformation of inpatient and outpatient units. There are 3 main factors that are needed for the operation and hospital work: sufficient materials (medicine and bandages), trained staff (doctors and nurses), machinery and equipment. The students can decide on the recruitment, dismissal, and wages of doctors. Planning is really important in the game, as the capacity needs to be matched to the number of patients expected in the hospital. We highly recommend this simulation to medical students, to help them understand the fundamental economic concepts through the game.
How the Clinics simulation software works:
- The students form groups and take over the management of the virtual hospital created by the simulation software.
- The virtual hospital is governed by making strategic decisions for annual periods. The software gives a written feedback about the results of the decisions (balance sheet, income statement, cash flow stb.).
- The software settings can be modified in various ways based on seasons, prices, wages, fluctuation and a number of other factors.
- The software can simulate up to 8 periods.
Advantages and learning points:
- In the game, the students face multiple tasks that require planning, while they are getting closer to solving the problems.
- The program shows the various management decisions ranging from basic economic activities to crucial strategic points in company management, and special situations.
- The program presents the connection between traditional economic decisions and the successful management of a hospital.
- The software is sufficiently complex to synthesize and put into practice the knowledge of students.
- As it simulates the operation of a large economic unit, it presents the competition on the market, that can be influenced by the members of the market themselves, just like in real life.
- The game challenges and develops analytical skills, as students are required to find the data they need from various financial and commercial reports (for example balance sheets, income statement, cash flow, market research reports).
- As a result, just like in real life, effective teamwork is essential to successfully complete the game.