CarDealer - Sales & Retail
The software models a company dealing with the trade of new and used cars and additional services (retail of components, maintenance, car rental). In the game, there are 6 companies/groups in one market.
The car company has 5 main business activities: (1) selling new cars, (2) selling used cars and offset (optional), (3) maintenance services paid by the hour, (4) selling components through maintenance and the shop, (5) car rental services with the company’s own vehicles purchased for this purpose (optional).
New cars are sold in 5 major categories. The groups can set the prices for the cars and services for the next quarter, can determine the quantity for urgent or normal supply, can hire, lay off, and train employees, and set their wages. Apart from these, the players are also able to determine the marketing budget required for each category and to buy market information and reports from their competitors (the other groups).
How CarDealer simulation software works:
- The students form groups and take over the management of the virtual company created by the simulation software.
- The virtual company is managed by making strategic decisions for every quarter of a year. The software gives a written feedback about the results of the decisions, and it also shows the important economic indicators (profit, Cash flow, traffic etc.) on a graph.
- The software settings can be modified in various ways based on different demands, purchase prices, the wage flexibility, credit conditions and a number of other factors.
- The software can simulate up to 8 periods.
Advantages and learning points:
- The software is sufficiently complex to synthesize and put into practice the knowledge of students close to finishing their studies, but it can also be useful and fun for first-year students and can be a great tool to shape their views along with the theoretical materials.
- The simulation presents the competition on the market, that can be influenced by the members of the market themselves, just like in real life.
- Careful planning is essential to be successful in this simulation.
- The game challenges and develops analytical skills.
- Just like in real life, effective teamwork is essential to successfully complete the game.
This program has proven its usefulness in many student competitions and company training.